Game 10, Caro-Kann, sprcow(1427) vs. lukj2001(1341), Saturday 1/12/2019

What are the odds? Yesterday was my first rapid game against Caro-Kann in a long time, and today was my second. Unfortunately I hadn't gotten to studying the opening any more since yesterday, though I did remember that it's better to avoid the early bishop trade and just focus on developing.

I ended up making a few inaccurate moves through the opening, which delayed castling longer than I would have liked, but I was able to get in a c4 attack and eventually use it to establish a protected pawn on d6 at the expense of my dark square bishop. It cost black some tempo to do this, though, and so I had a large development advantage to boot.

The engine points out some ways that black could have reestablished equality a number of times after I made an ill-advised queen trade, but from a psychological perspective I felt like my position was easier to play than Black's.

I, once again, made a mistake in trading light square bishops, but managed to continue adding pressure to black's position while preventing them from developing until they missed a threat and I was able to infiltrate. I finished with a puzzle-rush-worthy forced mate line at Knight sac, so a good finish.


Comments